An industrial designer by trade, Sam Mann is well known and respected in design, collecting, and automotive circles around the world. A highly successful entrepreneur and inventor – he has in the neighborhood of 80 patents in his name – his professional successes afforded him the opportunity to combine his interests in design and manufacturing with his love for the automobile. His collection today, celebrated as one of the world’s leading car collections, is a labor of love for both Sam and his wife of 45 years, Emily. Today, with approximately 50 cars in their collection, it is impossible for Sam and Emily to enjoy them all. As such, they have chosen to present the following five vehicles in Monterey, and RM Sotheby’s is extremely honoured to offer the following selections fromtheir collection.
- Bonhams announces the sale of the 1936 Aston Martin Speed Model ‘Red Dragon’, estimated at £1.6-2 million
- The Aston Martin has impeccable provenance, having raced in the Mille Miglia, the Spa 24-Hours, the Ulster TT, and the Le Mans 24-Hours
- Wales-born racer, Dudley Folland, adapted the car’s bodywork to resemble an early Ferrari, and adorned it with the Welsh ‘Red Dragon’ emblem
- The car will be sold at Bonhams Goodwood Revival Sale, taking place 10 September
Hugh Edmeades is responsible for over £2.2 billion in sales at the world’s biggest auction house.
Here, he presents his expert advice for would-be auctioneers
‘It’s showtime,’ declares Hugh Edmeades, Christie’s International Director of Auctioneering, who has conducted over 2,300 auctions since making his debut in August 1984 — selling over 300,000 lots for more than £2.2 billion.
‘Auctioneering is a performance art,’ Edmeades continues. ‘Our stage is our rostrum, and our only prop is our gavel.’ With over 20 years of experience in the industry, Edmeades is an expert performer, and now manages a select group of 65 men and women responsible for taking Christie’s sales across the globe. Many are graduates of his highly competitive ‘Auctioneering School,’ run every two years for Christie’s staff.
| Auctioneers must enjoy themselves, and the bidders will too |
In this video, Edmeades gives an exclusive insight into the rigorous training his potentials undertake. ‘If an actor doesn’t know his or her lines, then they cannot truly perform their part. And with auctioneers, if we don’t know our numbers and our increments then we cannot truly sell,’ he insists.
His other nuggets of wisdom are more subtle, though no less important — from encouraging auctioneers to adopt bright accessories, to using hand gestures. Perhaps the most vital is a sense of enthusiasm. To succeed as an auctioneer, Edmeades says, requires speed and energy: ‘Auctioneers must enjoy themselves, and the bidders will too.’
As Edmeades approaches the 22nd anniversary of his first sale, that sense of enjoyment remains palpable — shining through a now expertly-polished performance.
- Containing a treasure trove of mechanical rarities, the Robert White Collection will be sold at Bonhams on 19 September 2016
- Close friend Jay Leno described Robert White as a man who “Took more pleasure from his possessions than any man I have ever met.”
- The sale is expected to raise more than £2 million, with all proceeds set to fund advances in cancer diagnosis and treatment in Robert White’s home county of Dorset
Bonhams is delighted to announce the single-owner collection of entrepreneur and businessman, Robert White.
- New cancer treatment radiotherapy facilities at Dorset County Hospital to benefit patients in the west of the county, meaning shorter travel times
- New computerised tomography (CT) scanner for Poole Hospital, accurately identifying cancer site to enable targeted treatment
- Permanent positron emission tomography (PET) scanner at Poole Hospital – a sophisticated imaging technique widely used for cancer, providing highly detailed imagery showing tumours and its response to treatment.
- Education and training bursaries to enable staff working in cancer care and associated medical and diagnostic specialties to remain at the cutting edge of best practice.
- c.1929 Megola 640cc Touring Model, estimated at £120,000-140,000
- MV Agusta 500cc 3-Cylinder Grand Prix recreation, estimate £80,000-100,000
- MV Agusta 500cc 4-Cylinder Grand Prix recreation, estimate £70,000-90,0000
- 1974 Ducati 750SS, estimated at £60,000-70,000
- 1951 Vincent 998cc Series C Black Shadow, estimated at £50,000-70,000
- 1930 Bentley 4½-Litre Le Mans-style Tourer, estimated at £450,000-550,000
- 1959 AC Ace-Bristol Roadster, estimated at £180,000-220,000
- 1958 AC Ace Roadster, estimated at £120,000-140,000
- Pur Sang ‘Type 51’ Sports Two Seater, estimated at £90,000-110,000
More info on Bonhams
RM Sotheby’s celebrated its 18th year in Amelia Island by presenting a terrific series of best-of-category automobiles across the block on March 12th. As one of the auction calendar favorites, our Amelia Island sale achieved a strong $38 million in sales to a standing room only crowd packed with bidders who journeyed from 20 countries.